Like many teams around the NBA, the Milwaukee Bucks opened their 2012 Training Camp on Tuesday, but while his teammates were able to get right to work, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute had to take it slow.
Luc is still recovering from surgery this offseason on his right patella tendon and though rehab work this summer has brought him closer to a return, Luc isn’t quite ready to dive right into training camp. He said that in this situation the waiting game and the slow process involved with knee rehab is a necessary evil, but he feels it getting better every single day.
« The plan was just to get rid of the pain and to get back to playing at a high level, » he said. Now I’ve addressed that, which was the big thing going into the summer. Now I’m just excited about being back out there and playing pain-free. »
The injury hampered Luc from the start of 2011 Bucks training camp last December and lingered throughout the season. Though Luc did average a career-high in points per game and continued to play lockdown defense when he was on the floor, the injury did force him to miss 23 games and he said it greatly impacted his play and rest didn’t do much to help.
« Obviously over the last year and a half that’s been hurting me a lot and affecting my game, » he said. « [After the surgery] was the first time I felt like it was really healing. [The Doctor] said everything looked good but I just needed to get some strength on the muscles around the knee. That’s what we’re focusing on right now. »
Not timetable was given for that process, though Luc is unsure he’ll be ready by the end of training camp. Instead, he’s targeting the first few weeks of the season for his return.
« I don’t think I’ll be on the court during training camp, » he said. « I’m hoping to be back sometime soon, though. »
- Bucks F Mbah a Moute still rehabbing knee (The Associated Press, October 1, 2012)
- Mbah a Moute not ready to go (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, October 1, 2012)
- Luc Richard Mbah a Moute To Miss Training Camp (Rant Sports, October 1, 2012)
- 2012 Player Capsules: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (Bucksketball, October 1, 2012)
- Mbah a Moute to miss training camp with injury (Bucks Blog, October 1, 2012)
- Bucks face Dilemma at Small Forward (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, October 3, 2012)
- Restoring strong defense a priority (Bucks Blog, October 1, 2012)
- Mbah a Moute could miss entire camp (Madison.com, October 1, 2012)